Application to the Institute for Advanced Study, 2020–2021
Welcome to the Institute for Advanced Study. Here is some basic information to
help you begin the online application process:
- To create a new account, click on the "Non registered" link.
- Enter your full email address
(e.g. email@example.com). This should be an address
at which you can be reached since it will appear on the
application as your main address, and the Institute will send you
email at this address.
- Select the school to which you would like to apply.
- Select a password. If
you forget your password, click on the "Forgot your password" link.
Your password will be emailed to the
address used on your application.
- If you wish to apply to more than one school, please see Applications to Multiple Schools below.
- To log in to your application, enter your email address and
password and click Log In.
- You may access and change your application as many times as
necessary, but once you have uploaded your application to the
Institute, you will no longer be allowed to access or make any changes to it.
If you have difficulties uploading PDF files, try using a different browser or computer.
- You can work on your application in any browser.
- Click the Help link for help.
- Click the 'Submit' button at the bottom of each screen of the
application before moving on to the next page. If you go from screen to
page without submitting, any information entered will be lost.
- You will not be able to save information on one page and move on
to the next page unless all required fields are filled in on the page
you are working on. All fields marked by a red star (*) are required.
- You can navigate between the screens by clicking on the links
at the top of the screen. Just remember to click "Submit" before switching
- If any of the information requested on the application does not
apply to you, leave that box blank unless instructions on the screen
tell you to do otherwise.
- To log out of your application, click Logout on the left side of the navigation bar.
To log in again, return to the applications page (https://applications.ias.edu),
enter your email
address and password, and click Log In.
- If you are unfamiliar with creating PDFs, there are online
services that will convert Word documents into PDFs for you.
- Please note the following deadlines:
- November 1: Application deadline for the School of Historical Studies
- November 1: Application deadline for the School of Social Science
- November 15: Application deadline for the School of Natural Sciences
- December 1: Application deadline for the School of Mathematics
Applications to Multiple Schools
- Each school has slightly different information requirements for its applications, thus a new application is required for each school.
- To complete a second application you must create a second account, with a different email address.
- We only accept PDF files for upload, and file size should be 5Mb or less. If you attempt to upload a larger file, the browser will return a rather cryptic error message (which is browser dependent).
- Make sure that all filenames for uploaded files contain only letters, digits and periods. Special characters (accents, quotes, double quotes etc.) in filenames will not be recognized by the system.
Advanced Study, Einstein Drive, Princeton,
New Jersey 08540 USA (609) 734-8000